Saturday, July 5, 2008

Susan's Blog July 5

We had lots of fun the last few days, but first a few comments about the wool project. I forgot to mention that there were no weavers at the huge, and I mean huge, Tuesday Nairobi market. I thought that was interesting and that means there is another niche for our weavers.
July 4 passed, and we didn't even realize it. Of course in Kenya July 4 is just another day. I hope you all had some fun fireworks.
We went on a safari with Megan an American volunteer for International Peace Initiatives and a son of one of the IPI staff. It was better than I could have imagined. We went to Masai Mora and "camped" in a campground run by the Masai people. Totally cool. Huge cloth tents with real beds in them and sheets and blankets. The tents also had a tin roof above them in case it rained. There were flush toilets and warm showers. Everything was so well thought out. The Masai staff, who were dressed in traditional garb and lived in a traditional Masia village down the road took such good care of us.After we left for the day they amade our beds, locked our tents and watched them. They cooked for us , made us campfires and lit us lanterns at night as there is no electricity at the camp. They anticipated our every need. I was so impressed. They were fun and interesting. We also visited their village where we were treated to traditional dances, went inside their tiny mud ho mes, which they share with the young cows, saw them start fires without matches and just heard all about their culture, to which they hold fiercely. Later we met Nelson, a Masai man with a college degree who along with two others started the project to bring money into the villages for education. He lives in two worlds, the world of the modern and the world of the Masai and said he loves returning home to the village. I really can't say enough about the whole experience with the time I have.
The safari was fantastic with one evening, plus one all day and one morning drive. A highlight was when we saw three lions eating a zebra carcus, and lots of zebras, lions, antelope of various kinds, wart hogs, giraffs and elephants. We even had a treat of several hundred wildebeast running in front of our car and also saw thousands grazing at the border of Tanzania and Kenya. It was too early to really see the full migration, but according to our guide, what we got to see was totally amazing for the time of year. Kirimi, our guide would know exactly where to go, spotting animals long before our eyes adjusted and then driving us right to the spot. We saw tons of elephants close up and one started to charge our vehicle and we had to back up. Tons of interesting birds. It wouldn't have been the same without our guide Kirimi. He really did a lot and worked hard to find us as many animals as possible.
Today we took a field trip with six of Sister Luise's orphans and went to an elephant sanctuary and to a giraffe sanctuary. I had actually been there before. On the way back I started to doze, but when I opened my eyes I saw a sign for a weaving shop. I met with the manager, and I really liked him a lot. I think he will come up the week of July 14 for two or three days with two other weavers and hold three simultaneous small training groups for the women including spinning, weaving, and I think also about dyeing and preparing the wool. It's a very interesting concept as then the groups can teach each other. I had a very good feeling about this man, and am waiting for Karambu to call him to seal the deal. I hope she likes him, and I hope I am right in my instincts that he is the right man to get the initial training done.
It has been somewhat cramped at Sister Luise's place. There are more orphans. Thankfully another house is being built, but it will be a while.
I found a small hair place not far from Sister Luise's place. I brought some color with me from the US and since the shower facilities here are limited, I am going to have a salon do my roots for me. It should be pretty interesting, especially because I don't think they have ever done a white woman's hair. She is only going to charge me 200 Kenyan shillings, a $3.20. I'll let you know how it goes!
Paul and Eliot leave Monday. We will really miss them. We are now trying to set up a week-long trip for Lilly and I to the coast, and then back for the last week to film the weaving training. That is the plan, and I hope it goes well. If you get a chance, give Paul a call to say hi, as he will be on his own for a while after Eliot leaves for Reno on July 13 and until we return July 22.

No comments: